Bedside assessment of swallowing
Prof Eric VERINa
a Service de Physiologie, CHU Rouen
Head of the workshop: Pr Eric Verin
Aim of the workshop: to provide students data for use in diagnosis and treatment planning of swallow disorders.
- The preparatory exam with no actual swallows.
- The initial swallowing exam when actual swallowing is attempted
Materials: laryngeal mirror, metal spoon, straw,tongue blade, cup, glass of water, ice chips, paste like substance
- Locus of the patient's dysphagia, that is, whether it is oral or pharyngeal
- Oral reaction to placement of various tastes, temperatures, and textures in oral cavity
- Presence of any oral apraxia, abnormal oral reflexes such as tonic bite
- Laryngeal Function as it may affect airway protection and aspiration during the swallow
- Coughing status
- Decision on Best Posture: Selection of Optimum Swallowing Instructions (Posture or sequence of postures)
Maximum number of participants : 30
Prerequisite: Oral Anatomy and Function
Language : English
Condition: Participants must register.
Keywords : Clinical exam, Swallow, Dysphagia